Friday, October 1, 2010

You're Invited: Bright Pink Cocktail Reception


Last month I wrote about my initial experiences confronting a BRCA genetic mutation that increases my risk for breast and ovarian cancer.  I turn 25 this month, and with as much as an 87 percent lifetime risk of developing breast cancer, am already getting breast cancer screenings every six months.  On my dad's side, five relatives have had breast cancer, and on my mom's side, my grandmother.  Friends, and friends' families too have been affected.  So breast cancer awareness is something very personal and important to me, as it is to everyone.  In fact, according to Susan G. Komen for the Cure, more than 1.3 million women will be diagnosed this year alone with breast cancer.  It's a staggering statistic.

With the start of October, we also start Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Get involved in any way you can - but I would encourage you to at least attend this special event that I am coordinating with a national nonprofit organization called Bright Pink.  It means a great deal to me personally, and will surely be a wonderful event, celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month and raising donations to help educate and support young women at a high risk for breast and ovarian cancer.

So follow @BrightPinkDC on twitter, visit our event on facebook, and hopefully I will see you October 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails